Search This Blog

Saturday, January 16, 2010

This is an oldie but goodie





This was a blog i posted in oct. 07 but its good thought some folks who did not know me at the time would enjoy reading (unchanged from the time I wrote it)

The 5 hout lake powell trip
Category: Sports


As I lie here in bed this fine monday morning I can't help but wonder what life would be like if I were at work. About a week ago we had a fine trip planned down to the old lake powell. If you have never been it is beautiful. The landscape is set in gorgeous red and white rock with light blue water that sparkles under the sun. Days are warm and nights are cool, perfect for sleeping atop the houseboat under the stars. It is arguably one of the best places in the state of Utah to wakeboard.

My fiance had been gone for the last month (totally lame) working and I was to pick her up in St. George then the next morning we were off to the lake. All went as planned, I left work monday around 4 and got to st. george that night around 7. After supper at iggys and visits to friends it was off to bed. I had to sleep outside in a trailer because those who owned the house did not want us close to eachother apparently. So after one of the worst nights sleep in my life it was off to the lake.


We got there at about 10 after picking up some odds and ends for the house boat and met up with my future father and brother in law at the dock. Off we went to the house boat it was about a 30 minute boat ride to a beautiful semi secluded beach with white sand and warm water. As soon as we got there I was in my suit diving and flipping off the houseboat. Everyone was so excited to have someone there who was pro active. Appently prior to my arrival things were a little boring.


Around 2 or so I convinced Mark (my brother in law) to take us wakeboarding and off we went. A few runs a few classic tricks, no big deal. Bethany's little brother had his appendix removed a day before arriving to the lake and was hurting so we took him back to the house boat and i decided to give the old wake skate a run. Bethany convinced her dad to come out on the boat with us. I tried to acid drop start off the back of the house boat and everyone said your crazy your gonna get hurt i just responded with I have good insurance. lol. Well the acid drop didn't work but was unevenful. So I took a nice slow and easy ride buttering and taking a small jump here and there. I crashed and when I was in the water I said watch this I will try to go huge. Famous last words right? So I cut out toe side real long full cut and came back at speed and popped up nicely. When I came down however it was not so good. I felt my board go one way and my body go the other and heard a twist then a pop. The images that flashed through my head were from all the action sports videos wrecks I have seen. I looked down and my knee and this is basically what i saw. Now Bethany's dad is a trauma nurse at the ER at the UofU. He said it's just dislocated lets try to pop it back into place. This was by far the most painful experience I have ever had. When it didn't work it was off the page to the ER. Which, is a 30 minute boat ride across the channel in choppy water along with a 20 minute car ride. I had be be carried from the boat to the car which hurt like hell. Once we got the ER things started getting a little better in the fact that they have morphine. Bethany's dad told me they gave me enough to kill a 180 pound person and that barely took the pain away. Yep 5 hours on the lake 12 hour drive from where i live, that's messed up. They sedated me and thanks to Bethany's dad being there were able to pop it back into place. I had to pretend to be up and chipper so they would release me and we could go back to the houseboat and not be life flighted to st. george. Luckily they released me because Beth's dad is a nurse otherwise I am sure I would have to have stayed. The ride back was much more pleasant than the ride there. For two days i lounged in a chair and caught some sun as I watched the crystal smooth water longingly. I still am waiting to see the orthopedic surgeon to find out the full extent of the damages. Tommorrow I will know Thanks for reading.

Lance

No comments:

Post a Comment