Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The State of Our Economy


 With the housing market as sluggish as Czechoslovakians in the summer games, nearly everyone has been affected, from kids selling candy bars door to door to high end commercial real estate agents.  I don't think our currents state is funny and don't want to make light of a difficult situation however in the course of composing this, I most likely will.  While listening to the wall street journal on the radio I learned prices for super bowl tickets, bought from either e bay, a ticket broker or other are sold at a median price iof $4,000.00 per ticket!  Land Shark Stadium,  where super bowl XLIV will be take place holds 75,540 at capacity and will be a sell out crowd.  INSANE!  In a country with an unemployment level reaching nearly ten percent we are spending $302,160,000.00 to fight a crowd of 75,000 people, get out binoculars and watch a game that in the long ride of life won't matter more than Steve Urkle on family matters, actually, Steve made more of a lasting impression on america than any super bowl has.  "did i do that?"  Lol.  This Christmas my wife and I took a trip to buy good tidings for the holiday.  As we drove past the mall on the way to our destination, I remarked "I am glad we are not headed there, there isn't even a place to park!"  We made to where we were going, which happened to be The Dollar Tree, a store that sells nothing for more than a dollar, probably the sweetest stores in the universe, next to candy stores I suppose. We might as well have walked into an opera hall that only deaf, blind mutes were invited to attend, who didn't have rides even had they wanted to attend.  I was very excited, as I hate fighting lines and crowds for tickle me elmo's and true religion jeans.  I would not say we are poor, I would say we spend our money wisely.  We bought what we needed, saw some generic bump it hair tools, and had some good laughs.  In a recession the dollar store should be packed and the mall as empty as Ms. south Carolinas skull.  If you don't get that reference youtube it you will die laughing!  I love america and I love capitalism, I love that people can choose to shop wherever they want and buy whatever they want but do wonder how we will ever crawl our way out of this rut if people keep spending money like Erick Cartman eats cheesy poofs.  Will Smith put it best when he said, "Too many people spend money the don't have to buy stuff they don't need to impress people they don't like."

2 comments:

  1. marlena here (friend of bethany), i LOVE this post. hahahaha. so funny, so true. people thought i was nuts for using our wedding gift cards for christmas. i was like HELLLOOO recession ring a bell? yeah right, like i have money to spend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. smart girl hey wait a minute we gave u a gift card! jk

    ReplyDelete