Search This Blog

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Hobo Holiday

Before I had a child I thought of an incredible vacation idea that would trump any adventure I had ever persued to this point in my life.  I watched my wife roll her eyes as I anxiously presented a concept that to my knowledge (which I will admit is limited) had never been attempted.  For our vacation that year I thought we should strap on a couple of jansports, well a back pack for her, I would prefer to use a bindle, (

bin⋅dle

–noun Slang. a bundle, usually of bedding and other possessions, carried by a hobo.) just to look legit I would not want to be confused with a common dirt ball hippie, I hate hippies, I would rather have someone stuff my pants with tuna fish and toss me into a den of starving cats than be confused as hippie.  After she had her backpack packed and my bindle loaded we would be on our way to living homeless for a time. A bindle is that handkercheif tied to a stick, loaded with your gear.  I would take some bread a change of socks, maybe some underwear, I reckon a bindle could not contain more.  We would leave the house with only what is on our person and see how far we could get, where we could go what we could accomplish and the amount of real life experience we could gain.  Hobo holiday does have some rules, when you depart on your journey 10 dollars is the maximum amount of money you can bring.  You can only work for money or food no panhandling, no mooching, no accepting food, basically no free lunches.  Really I guess there are only two rules after that the world would be your oyster, or your can of baked beans as would be the case.  To my chagrin however Bethany seems to prefer cruises, resorts and trips to states that have beaches.  Even though I told her we could end up on a beach she didn't bite.  My reasons for a vacation of this variety are unclear even to me.  I think  mankind and reality at it's most basic and raw state would be extremely interesting to exerience first hand.  Now that we have a child there is no way it will ever be possible, unless it just happens and is not a holiday at all.

3 comments:

  1. Let the reader be aware that I (Bethany) am against this "holiday" idea because holidays are supposed to be relaxing. Somehow I can't imagine being very relaxed while sleeping on the cold ground. I don't need a beach, a resort, a cruise ship or anything like that, I just need some fun adventure that does not include the lack of a shower and a pillow. Call me high maintenance I kow but really, can anyone disagree with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A shower is NOT high maintenance, let me just say that right now. I never liked going to our cabin for more than a day because there was no running water, it was cold, and there was only so many giant rocks to explore. I'm fine with nature. But not if I'm supposed to be having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that you had a baby, so you do not have to go on that "holiday" Bethany. Hee hee.
    I can tell you one thing for sure, your hubby sure is a great thinker though. Maybe he can go and try it out, and let you know how it goes, while you stay home and bask in your warm bathtub, having girls night out. :) YES! Tell him to find a quarter on the ground, and that is how he can call you to pick him up in timbuktu. Your welcome for my advice anytime. Lynn

    ReplyDelete