Search This Blog

Monday, January 18, 2010

Baby Gas

Last week was very eventful for my brothers family as well as my own, we each brought a beautiful child  into this world for the first time.  Our wives are convinced that when our childrens lips move upward and slightly part they are joyfully smiling.  Researching the matter, the scientific conclusion is the child has gas.  As a man who cares for the welfare of others, I would not encourage anyone to inform our wives that their children merely have to expel methane and other gases, it will not bode well.  I however being a man of science have formed my own hypothesis based upon years of research.  Farting is funny.  Babies know it, adolescents know it and even adults know it.  Laughing at flatulence is innate, therefore right before our cute perfect little angels squeeze one out they prepare with a mischievous smile knowing full well the sufferance others within a reasonable parameter will soon suffer.  I am not willing to put my hypothesis to a full scientific experiment for two reasons the first; I don't have the time, the second; and more realistic  is I don't have the stomach for it.  I will leave it at that.  Every person that is living however has laughed at an excretion of foul smelling gas, from the highest of kings and queens to the most immature seventh grader, I am sure as you read you are thinking of a time you had a good laugh, or almost threw up from the misery someone inconsiderate person has befouled you with .  Often laughter or snickering is followed by, "that is so gross!"  Or, "disgusting."  or "Son, leave the room!"  My dad used the latter often.  They have been featured as jokes in movies and tv shows, slipped into song tracks, and used in every form of media possible.  I guess my point is we are both right, the baby has gas, and it knows deep in it's heart it's funny, so when you see that "smile" plug your nose.

2 comments: